The Invitational Summer Institute is at the core of the National Writing Project’s model of “teachers teaching teacher.” Every summer, each of the nearly 200 NWP sites holds an Invitational Summer Institute focusing on teachers as writers, researchers, and leaders. The comments below are from course evaluations of the 2016 Alaska Writing Project Invitational Summer Institute.
- “This course gave me the opportunity to not only focus on my own writing, but also gave me lots of time to reflect on my pedagogy.”
- “This course has helped me focus on improvements and adjustments I need to make in the writing program in my classroom.”
- “I LOVED being with K-12 educators in a safe, free thinking environment.”
- “I have gained valuable insight into the specific (and general) ways in which elementary and middle school teachers support the development of students as writings. It was so wonderful to be in a K-12 course!”
- “This is the best PD available.”
- “I teach writing, and this course has elevated my philosophy and helped to focus my teaching style.”
- “This summer I wrote creative non-fiction, planned an inquiry project, read, and designed a teacher demonstration. Priceless.”
We are very excited to offer the Alaska Writing Project Invitational Summer Institute as a 3 credit, 500-level course through UAA this summer. The 2017 AWP Invitational Summer Institute is being fully funded by a grant from the National Writing Project. Participants will receive a scholarship to cover tuition of the course.The 2017 AWP Invitational Summer Institute will be held in Anchorage (specific location to be determined in the near future) and will meet on the follow dates and times; attendance at all meetings is required.
- April 29 @ 9:00AM – 12:00PM
- May 30-June 2 @ 9:00AM – 3:00PM
- June 5-June 8 @ 9:00AM – 3:00PM
- September 9 @ 9:00AM – 3:00PM
Space in the 2017 AWP Invitational Summer Institute is very limited. All applications will be reviewed by the AWP leadership team. Acceptance decisions will be emailed on Monday, March 27.
Application Deadline: March 24, 11:59PM
Decision Notification: March 27
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Dr. Jonathan Bartels at email@example.com